Friday, May 18, 2012

metaphor

Definition: A figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance.



Example:
My family is an expired firecracker
set off by the blowtorch of divorce. We lay
scattered in many directions.
My father is the wick, badly burnt
but still glowing softly.
My mother is the blackened paper fluttering down,
blowing this way and that, unsure where to land.
My sister is the fallen, colorful parachute,
lying in a tangled knot, unable to see the beauty she
holds.
My brother is the fresh, untouched powder that
was protected from the flame. And I,
I am the singed, outside papers, curled away
from everything, silently cursing
the blowtorch
Significance: Metaphor is like something not true, something made up.

No comments:

Post a Comment